– HOWDY –
About a Lady named Marina
I started drawing and painting at the age of 7, and was known as an “artist” by my peers. When I was 18, I decided to choose a more technical aspect to design. I was placed in a co-op work environment in the graphics department of a large leading bank where Corel 3.0 was the leading design program fueled by the 486 computer. Stock photos were ordered via a mail in order system and artwork was rendered through mechanical paste-up, ruby film and an Xacto knife, and camera ready art.
In 1994, “Desktop Publishing” and the “Information Superhighway” came to be, and I became infatuated with design and typography. I received my Honours Degree in Fine Arts in 1999.
Over the next decade, I’ve worked with a variety of companies ranging from Photo/Video studios, Children’s Publishing, IT, Print Houses and Multimedia + Interactive Design Studios, where I started building websites with Microsoft FrontPage, Macromedia DreamWeaver and animated GIFS.
In 2007, I decided to take a permanent maternity leave and started freelancing in design. In the span of 10 years, I have created a few companies where I get to express my creativity.
You can find me designing away at any of these hubs.
- This Design Girl – my newest venture in teaching others how to design.
- Marina Duque Design – my main design hub.
- Q ideas Inc. – a company that my husband and I started in 2007 and where I play the role of creative everything.
- Baby Boomba – a place where I get to create beautiful baby stuff.
- Rendered Spaces – a place where you can find beautifully rendered floor plans.
When you work for yourself, there is nothing like waking up and not having to answer to questions about missing TPA reports!