How to Create a Favicon
Watch my video below to see how to create and install a Favicon.
What is a Favicon?
A Fav Icon is the little icon that appears on the top of the browser beside the address bar or browser tabs.
- Make a square version of your logo.
- Go to: http://www.favicon.cc
- Click “Import Image”, “Choose File”, and select “Shrink to Square Icon”.
- Fav Icon will generate a 16 px by 16 px rendering of your square image in a blown up format.
- Using the preview window below, you will be able to see what it looks like in the original size.
- You can simplify it by using their colour picker to add / delete any pixels.
- If you are adventurous, you can even animate it.
- Once you are finished, click “Download Favicon”. A file called “favicon.ico” will be downloaded to your computer.
- Go back to WordPress, then go to your theme settings, and there should be an option to upload this favicon.co somewhere within the settings.
- Go to your website and hit refresh to view it.
- Make a square version. It’s the best looking way.
- If your logo is very complicated, this will not turn out well. For example, if you have a logo icon and then your company name beside it. My suggestion is just to use the icon only.
- If the icon is too complicated, then just do something really simple like initials only. You are only working with 16×16 pixels and trying to cram too much information in there is next to impossible.